Submitted by Daniel A. Freeman on October 20, 2011 - 3:17pm
We just wrapped up the second session of the ALA TechSource Workshop
Integrating iPads and Tablet Computers into Library Services with Rebecca Miller, Carolyn Meier and Heather Moorefield-Lang. We had some great discussion during the event--here are some more questions to discuss. Whether you attended or not, feel free to join the conversation!
Questions from Today’s Event:
Resources from Today’s Event:
The Preliminary Readings from Today’s Event
- I understand Libraries having iPads and other tables, but what about giving access to the tablets that are owned by the users?Ins’t that a completely different scenario that would require even more complex policies?
- The terms of service when you install an App are complicated! Are there risks or other things that librarians need to be aware of?
- Are the examples of colleges and universities where librarians are teaching instruction session exclusively with tablets rather than desk top or lap top computers?
- Do iPads have any software like DeepFreeze that will restore it to its original configuration when re-booted?
- I'd like to hear more about the legal issues involved with checking out iPads pre-loaded with purchased content.
Barile, L. (2011). Mobile technologies for libraries: a list of mobile applications and resources for development. C&RL News, 72(4). Retrieved from http://crln.acrl.org/content/72/4/222.full
EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative. (2011). Seven things you should know about iPad apps for learning. Retrieved from http://www.educause.edu/Resources/7ThingsYouShouldKnowAboutiPadA/223289
Lotts, M. and Graves, S. (2011). Using the iPad for reference services: librarians go mobile. C&RL News, 72(4). Retrieved from http://crln.acrl.org/content/72/4/217.full
Scott, R. (2010). An ipad, a Nook, and a Kindle. North Carolina Libraries, 68(1). Retrieved from http://www.ncl.ecu.edu/index.php/NCL/article/view/315/361
Thompson, S. (2011). Setting up a library iPad program: guidelines for success. C&RL News, 72(4). Retrieved from http://crln.acrl.org/content/72/4/212.full
Integarting iPads and Tablet Computers into Library Services, Part 2
Rebecca, Carolyn and Heather’s List of Apps
List Of Apps