In Smart Libraries Newsletter This Month
In "OCLC Completes Its Acquisition of PICA" Marshall Breeding discusses the final part of the OCLC PICA deal and its implications for the world of library technology.
"The completion of the purchase of PICA represents the latest in OCLC's growth into a global entity," explains Breeding, who adds, "No corporate acquisition such as this is devoid of some controversy. This latest move highlights the complexities between non-profit and for-profit activities within OCLC, which do not go without challenge from the organization's commercial competitors."
Also in SLN in August by Marshall Breeding
- "New CEO for SirsiDynix"
- "R.R. Bowker Acquires Medialab Solutions"
- "New Name for Symphony Sounds Good"
And by Tom Peters This Month
- "RFID for the Perplexed"
- "Recorded Books and OCLC File Lawsuits over Audiobook Service"
- "Public Libraries Try Their Hand at Mass Digitization"
- "Removing Scratches from Optical Media"